The Stag Do was done and dusted. Now, with a few weeks to go until the nuptials, I could focus on building and buying various decorations and gifts for the wedding itself.
I’ve posted before about my “trilogy” of handmade greeting cards, which the couples received for their respective weddings. Above is the card I made for the newest newlyweds…
A pen drawing coloured in with watercolour paints, based on Potter Puppet Pals, writing (with a quick quotes quill) and… sysadmin stuff (a phone, displaying a monitor, displaying a skull and crossbones). Also featuring their cat in the middle.
I drew it out in pencil on A5 paper, then (to make things more complicated than necessary) scanned it in and moved elements around in Photoshop. I also roughly digitally coloured it.
Then I printed the lines out again at A6 size, with higher contrast, and traced it onto my watercolour postcards via the light box.
Part 1 was about the largest (and most fun) props from the Stag Do I hosted last month.
Now onto part 2, which focuses on the smaller props and accessories I made for the par-tay…
A golden hat
The Groom needed to stand out from the rest of us plebs. Sashes are for hens, and this was not the kind of group to all go out in full costume. I ruled out the ‘Helmet of Justice’ from Knightmare because, well, you can’t see where you’re going. That would get old fast.
Being a Discworld fan (and he’s a bit of one himself), I plummed for a Moist Von Lipwig inspired hat… with a bit of local hero Fred Dibnah mixed in.
The base hat was a flat cap from Primark. Four reasons led to this choice:
- You don’t want to repaint and cut holes into something pricy, or riun a costly item and need to buy another!
- It came in One Size (fits all), so no chance of a cap that’s too small.
- The groom had tried it on briefly on our suit shopping trip.
- The hats in the costume shop were made of an uncomfortable, hard plastic.
Did I mention I was picked to be a Best Man this summer? Well, that happened. Which means that one of my duties was to organize the Stag Do.
Here’s post 1 of 2 about the props I made for my friend’s Stag Do, and a few things I learned along the way.
- the historical role of the Best Man was to stand guard, in case the adbucted bride’s family came a’knocking,
- because we’re all nerds,
- I thought that gently beating the Groom would be funny,
Ladies and Gentlemen… a sword and shield on a budget.
And the nerds rejoiced.
This week, the UK’s new Pound Coin entered circulation – Its biggest change in 34 years. While I do have an interest in coins, going to one of a handful of locations to clamour for one of the first in the country? Not that interested. A fancy quid will crop up in my change soon enough.
Left: Old and Busted (1983-2017). Right: New hotness (2017-).
Anyway, money. At work, we have competitions and offers. Some of them have cash prizes, so I had to draw us some coins. The best way, I decided, was to do them in Illustrator with the 3D effect – this let me draw it once, then copy and paste, repeating, resizing and rotating the graphic to add variety.
My 2015 custard coloured coins – Make it rain!
I’m going to briefly go over how to make a 3D coin in Adobe Illustrator, then talk about the new Pound Coin graphics I created last month.
In this post i’ll cover this year’s Hourly Comic Day entry, a few tidbits of extra info, a handful of examples from other partakers, and bring up a hithero unmentioned comic batch I did…
Let’s jump right in, and elaborate after: Click the image below, or this link right here, to check out my diary comic for 1st February 2017!