This is my sixth Hourly Comic Day comic, and the first one featuring me at my Graphic Design job! I actually started there in 2014, but as the last 2 years have been weekend comics, you didn’t get to see owt.
Click the image below, or this sentence here, to read the full comic!
Usual disclaimer: I take notes and doodle later, so this is more of an annual Diary Comic for me. Reassuringly, one of the big-name artists did similar for 2016:
I did my #hourlycomicday in a series of notes and scribbles but only got to doing the actual drawings today…Better late than never, right?
— Graham Annable (@grickle) February 3, 2016
The last few nights have seen notes sorting, pencils, inks, scanning, digital cleanup, making the subpage, and typing this up (this, here, now).
Footnotes and trivia
- Various high-profile celebs died of cancer in January, hence questioning the radio.
- Terry Wogan died the previous day (January 31st).
- The electric racket is a bug zapper called The Executioner.
- Looking at the tablet invokes the Obama “Not Bad” meme.
- “Work work work” is a phrase from Blazing Saddles (and The Producers musical).
- Some Weeknd songs are safe for work, but just check the lyrics to “Often” or “Odd Look“.
- The Simpsons episode was the first one with Roofi in it.
- Moonwalker is… odd. Scattershot with plot, changes art style often, and the King of Pop is a Transformer.
- The ‘shaving song’ is Sweeney Todd’s “The Contest“. Appropriate, although I only know the movie version.
- While watching The Undateables, my head’s suddenly the ‘Face With Tears of Joy’ emoji.
- I watch too many dating shows.
- The end picture is the ending to Se7en.
A few recommendations
- Timothy Winchester (A completely different style to his usual)
- Kelly Miller (Liking the single-colour highlights)
- Neil Slorance (Tinder and Gym bravery)
- Hugh Raine (Adventures in walking)
Check #HourlyComicDay for much, much more.
One last thing – I adapted my favourite panel to use as a profile picture.
That’s it for another year – Get out!