This is my eighth entry to the annual Hourly Comic Day. Friday February 1st, diarised into panels over the weekend (about 11 hours total of cranking out drawings). Be OK with going at your own pace – the point is to create and have fun!
I took the day off work, because who needs to see that again… but by making my day more ‘exciting’, various small events wouldn’t fit into 2 panels per hour:
- Silently judging The Blanket art in the Piece Hall.
- The ice cold tap and freezing hand dryer.
- Peering through the Kitty Cafe windows to see a kitten.
- Someone writing chord letters onto a public piano’s keys.
- Wondering why Lego Spiderman has a giant robot, and Batman… and Poison Ivy?!
- Trekking to the toilet in the restaurant, then realising I’d left my bags at my table. Still there when I got back.
Click below to read this year’s diary comic! They’re pencils for now, but will magically turn into inked versions later.
CARL MITCHELL’S HOURLY COMIC DAY 2019
February the first was Hourly Comic Day 2018. Another trip around the sun, another day to make a comic for every hour awake.
I point out every year that mine aren’t done in real-time: That’s just silly, even on a weekend, and this was a workday! While people on Twitter were apologising for posting theirs “late” on February 4th, here was I… this time, my “hourly” comics took 8-10 days. I can offer you a range of excuses, from a couple of freelance project deadlines, overtime at work, and even having a cold. But here we are: It’s good practice, I can look back at previous years.
As this involves taking notes, then drawing onto paper, inking, scanning, arranging and uploading, maybe next year i’ll try going purely digital… I bought a stylus to use on my touchscreen laptop at Xmas.
Click below to read this year’s comic!
CARL MITCHELL’S HOURLY COMIC DAY 2018
- The Springbok is a symbol of the Friendship Associations (and the South African Rubgy team). I’m off on to visit family in South Africa at the end of the month!
- I’ve nothing against Owain the Weatherman, but he’s no Lisa Gallagher. Well, to his husband, I guess he is.
- I actually own a top hat and tails. That’s a story for another time.
- We bought a new smaller and simpler 4G Hub from EE that afternoon. It arrived in less than 24 hours.
- The main topics at the retirement do were ‘criminal capers’ and ‘vintage cars’.
- Bruno Mars’ Finesse is the 90s resurgent.
- Did you know that Outlook bases its webcode off Microsoft Word? It needs so many compatability workarounds, it should really be retired / rebuilt.
In this post i’ll cover this year’s Hourly Comic Day entry, a few tidbits of extra info, a handful of examples from other partakers, and bring up a hithero unmentioned comic batch I did…
Let’s jump right in, and elaborate after: Click the image below, or this link right here, to check out my diary comic for 1st February 2017!
This is my sixth Hourly Comic Day comic, and the first one featuring me at my Graphic Design job! I actually started there in 2014, but as the last 2 years have been weekend comics, you didn’t get to see owt.
Click the image below, or this sentence here, to read the full comic!
Another year brings another February 1st. I’ve completed Hourly Comic Day 2015; my fifth. It was quite eventful considering it was a Sunday.