Regular collaborator John (he of Final Boss Fight) is always expanding his media network; the latest from his team is Nerd Night, a tabletop gaming podcast. Like comics are so much more than Superman, tabletop games are way more than Cluedo.
‘Nerd’ always makes me think of Homer shouting it in The Simpsons. Me and many of my friends are nerds, it’s fine. I’ve lived with several people who play tabletop games / card games / pen-and-paper RPGs, and they’ll often get a set out whenever groups come to visit – Last time it was a few rounds of the interesting but unpronouncable Hnefatafl, then watching them conquer Europe’s rail network in Ticket to Ride.
Take a look at the result:
The podcast image is 300×300. The gradient to the bottom isn’t just to prettify things: The name of the game being played goes on the bottom half of the image, and darkening this section will make the light-coloured text easier to read.
Here’s all the references I worked in:
- The stars are various-sided die (D4, D6 D8 and D10).
- The Moon is a D20 (20-sided dice).
- On top of the “hills” stand pieces from Carcassonne and Zombies!!!.
- Top row: Reset (Magic: The Gathering), Boots of Running Really Fast (Munchkin), Scandanavia Artillery (Risk), Player sheet (Dungeons & Dragons), Axe (Betrayal at House on the Haunted Hill).
- 2nd row: Chance (Monopoly), Trivia card (The Art of Science), Player Token (Ticket to Ride).
- 3rd row: Doom Token (Eldritch Horror), Ace of Spades Playing Card, Property (Monopoly), Scientist (Pandemic).
- The very dark shape behind the pencil is a Flamer template (Warhammer).
I know, I put Monopoly twice, but the darker one is pretty hard to spot, and as I said, there’ll be text over them. Let’s say one is a Parker Brothers card and the other is from a Waddingtons edition.
Final Boss Fight’s run on Dungeons and Dragons has ended, and they’ve just started Gamma World, so this image has been brought into use with episode 1 of that. The podcasts are available on their site, via iTunes, and on Stitcher.
If you would like to know more about any of the above, the site you need to visit is BoardGameGeek.